Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

The Darkest Time of the Year


I found this ceramic tree last summer. It's really red and
white but looks pink in this photo.
 It's a gray, cold, damp day. A threat of rain or perhaps snow flurries is in the air; it's December, and the darkest time of the year as we approach the Solstice.

I remember when this time of year was a difficult one for me. Perhaps it was a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder, or perhaps it was just because in those days before we had electric lights here, the dark came so soon and even the days were often like today's weather, gloomy and overcast so that the house seemed to be dark all the time.

Nowadays I don't mind December's dark. I am busy from the time I get up until fairly late at night, sometimes even stretching one day into the next. I admit, I like the sense of nesting that December brings as my focus turns back to home and homely things. I tidy shelves and closets and storage baskets, sort out clothes no longer worn and the oddly growing lot of bottles and tubes in the bathroom storage areas. I think about what I want to sort out next, and enjoy looking at the places I've organized once again.

This year I'm having a hard time finding time for my usual December routines. Since I began selling antiques and vintage things my days have become busier and busier. Now I'm doing more painting, and we have more booths to maintain. I enjoy it all, but I am missing my "quiet" period during the weeks before and after the holidays.

So today I shifted back to old ways and enjoying a day of puttering around the house, tackling whatever takes my fancy. First was bathroom cabinets, second those booth totes that needed sorted out and re-stored until our next trip to restock. Then it was on to more cleaning, sorting, putting away. A nice pile is ready for the donation center. Tonight I'll write thank-you notes and pay bills. And just maybe make some cookies, although I haven't had the urge to do much baking this year.

It's been a good day so far. I hope yours has been too.



Copyright Susanna Holstein. All rights reserved. No Republication or Redistribution Allowed without attribution to Susanna Holstein.

4 comments:

  1. I've been cleaning out bathroom cabinets too-maybe that's why you've been on my mind-we were doing the same thing! Love to you both-wishing you a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday the carpenters were not going to be here, and what did I do to celebrate my late and lazy morning? Spent two hours washing out the trash cans and the feed buckets, and picking up rubbish for the dump run on Saturday. I am not much of a housekeeper generally, but I think I've actually been missing the opportunity to putter in a quiet house!
    (And I really lucked out on the dump run today: got several free wooden lattice panels to use around the base of the porch, where I want to keep the hens away from the new insulation. Score!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today, I cleaned up more leaves that the wind carried here last week, and the front gutter had to be cleaned out again. I also cleaned out some old stock out of the freezer, a job past due needing, done now, thankfully. I like the quieter days of home, it speaks of serenity. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas Granny Sue, your blog posts have been a gift to me this year! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you took some puttering time for yourself. I've tried to do the same this year.

    Merry Christmas!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Comments are moderated so may not appear immediately, but be assured that I read and enjoy each and every word you write, and will post them as quickly as possible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...